Continuing with the BM, I made a black forest cake for a friend. I dont have the cross section of the cake and I hate the fact too. But it was moist, luscious and beautiful.
You shall need:
For the cake-
1.25 cup… All purpose Flour
1 cup… Light brown sugar
1/4 cup… cocoa powder
1.5 tsp… baking soda
1 tsp… Salt
3 … large eggs
1/2 cup… Butter
1/4 cup… strong coffee [add 1 tbsp coffee granules to boiling water]
1/2 cup… Sour cream [to the normal cream, add 1/2 tbsp vinegar and let it stand for 10 min]
1/2 cup… Butter milk [To the milk, add 1.2 tbsp vinegar and let it stand for 10 min]
1 tbsp… Vanilla Essence
For the filling and frosting-
1 can… Tinned cherries
3 cup… Whipped cream [stiff peaks]
1 cup… chocolate shavings
- Pre heat oven at 180C.
- Sift all the dry ingredients and keep aside.
- Cream butter and sugar for 2 min.
- Add one egg at a time and beat until nice, fluffy and amalgamated.
- Add half the flour mix and beat until combined.
- Now add the sour cream.
- Add some more flour and the butter milk.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix it all together.
- Pour equal amount in 2 lined tins and bake for 20-25 min or until the center springs back at you or a skewer inserted in the center comes back clean.
- Let them cool in the pan for 10 min.
- Take them out from the pan on a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- Take about 1/4 cup of the tinned cherry liquid and soak the cakes with it. Use a spoon or a pastry brush to do so.
- Cut 3/4th of the cherries from the tin into small pieces and keep aside.
- Place the first cake on the serving dish and add about 1 cup whipped cream to it.
- Spread it upto 1/2 inch away from the edges.
- Put the cut cherries on top and sandwich this between the second layer of cake.
- press the cake lightly.
- Apply a light layer of the cream and freeze the cake for 15-20 min.
- Now frost the cake again. Pipe few stars around the top edge and place a cherry.
- Add the chocolate shavings as you like.
- Chill for 30 min.
- Take out of the fridge 30 min before serving.
Sending this to:
hosted by Nivedhanams brain child of Preeti.