Continuing the International Food theme for this week presenting to you one of the flavors of the cake pop that my small out of home business offers. By the way I call it the Lantern Kitchen
This post is a part of Blogging Marathon. For the first week of BM#32 [2nd - 7th Sep], I am going International/Fusion.
Cake pops are basically cake crumbled up and rolled in to a ball with little frosting and covered with candy melts or chocolate of your choice. They are fun treats for all ages.
You shall need:
For the cake-
1 cup… All purpose Flour
1/2 cup… Sugar
1 tsp… Vanilla essence
1 tsp… Baking powder
2 tbsp… Cocoa
1 tsp… Salt
1/4 cup… Butter [softened]
1/2 cup… Cola drink [I used thumbs up]
1.. Large egg
Few tbsp milk
- Sift the dry ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Add the vanilla and cola and mix well.
- Dunk in the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180C for 20-25 min.
- Let it cool for 15 min and then taker it out of the mould.
For the cake pops- [makes about 18-20]
3-4 tbsp… Frosting of your choice
250 gms…. White chocolate [Broken to small pieces]
Sprinkles and sugar decorations of your choice.
- Crumble the cake as fine as possible.
- Add frosting a tbsp at a time. Dont add all at once.
- Mix it in well.
- Add as need be. We need a consistency where when we try to make a ball out of it, it must hold the shape.
- Remember we can always add more frosting to the crumble but can never take it back. Be very judicious.
- Measure out about 25-28 gms of cake pop dough and roll in to a ball. This ensures uniform size.
- Line a tray with parchment paper and put the rolled balls on it. Put it in the fridge for atleast 2 hours.
- Temper the chocolate. Put half the white chocolate on a double boiler and melt the chocolate. It is very easy to burn or over cook the chocolate so be calm and patient.
- Remove from heat. Add the other half and beat it like your life depends on it. Usually we must use a candy thermomoter, but since I didnt have one, this method is my best bet.
- The chocolate, after beating for 3-4 min, might need slight heat. Put it back on the warm water [without heat]and there you have the chocolate ready to be used.
- Take out the pops from the fridge, dip a small part of the lollypop stick in the melted chocolate and then push it into the cake ball.
- Now carefully cover the cake ball with the chocolate. Shake it a little to remove the excess.
- Adorn with the sprinkles of your choice.
- Put them on a Styrofoam block so that they harden on their own.
- These can stay upto 7-8 days in room temp and about 15 days in a fridge.