Surti papdi or valor look like peas but the cover and seeds are harder than the peas. People in the western part of India love this vegetable and have it in various form.
Here is the easiest one first.
You shall need:
1 cup… Surti papdi seeds (Few people use the shell too in the subzi but this version is made only with the seeds)
1/2 cup… Potato – diced
1 tsp… Oil
1/2 tsp.. Cumin seeds/jeera
a tiny pinch of asafoteda
Salt and red chilly powder to taste.
1 tsp.. turmeric powder
1 tsp… Dhaniya powder
1.5 tbsp… Jaggery powder (to taste)
1 cup water
- In a cooker, heat oil and add the jeera and asafoetida.
- Add the salt, turmeric, red chilly powder and dhaniya powder.
- Add the potato and seeds.
- Mix well.
- Add the water and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles on full flame.
- Once the pressure escapes, open the lid.
- Turn the gas on medium flame and add the jaggery.
- Cook it for 2-3 min.
- Serve hot with chapati/bhakri.