I have been very fascinated with Amamda of iambaker fame. THe oreo crumbs come from her wonderful cherry cake. This is one experiment that I completely enjoyed. It was damn messy but the outcome was to die for. This is how it looked: The final product consists of:
- Strawberry Eggless Sponge
- Chocolate Ganache
- Oreo Biscuit crumbs
- Dulce de Leche [For the fancy piping]
Let me start with the Strawberry Eggless Sponge. You shall need: 2 cup….. Maida 1 Cup…. White Sugar 1/2 Cup… Strawberry Puree [Add 5 Tbsp sugar to the puree to adjust the sweetness.] However I did add Strawberry crush as I could not find strawberries. Results were fantastic. 1 Tsp… Vanilla Essence 1/2 Cup…Oil 1/2 cup…Milk 1-1/4 cup…warm water 1 Tsp… Baking powder 1/2 Tsp… Baking Soda 1 Tsp…Lemon Juice 1/2 Tsp..Salt Method:
- Pre heat oven to 189-190 degree C.
- Sieve the flours and keep separate
- Mix together Sugar, Puree/crush, oil, water, lemon vanilla and milk.
- Make a smooth batter.
- Pour batter into 2 butter lined tins
- Bake for 35-40 min or until the skewer comes out clean.
Next bit is to make the Chocolate ganache You shall need: 1/2 cup… quality semi sweet chocolate [Or a mix of 1/4 bitter and 1/4 milk chocolate] cut into small bits. I usually grate them. 1/4 cup… cream [I used Amul cream] 1 Tbsp… Butter Method: 1. To cook on a stove:
- Melt Butter
- Remove from heat
- Add the chocolate and mix until it stops melting anymore.
- Put on the stove again over very low heat
- Stir continuously to make sure it does not get burn.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted, turn off the stove and add the cream.
- Stir till they amalgamate.
- Keep aside to come to room temperature.
2. To make in microwave:
- Melt butter
- Add the chocolate, put back in oven for 30 sec
- Take it out and stir once
- Put in for 10-10 sec until all the chocolate is not melted [do not over heat..keep checking]
- Add the cream and heat again for 10 sec.
- Let it cool to be used later
- Place the biscuits in a zip lock or any sturdy plastic bag
- Bash them to crumbs with a rolling pin.
- Make sure there are no chunks of biscuits, all we need is the crumbs
Dulce de leche comes from here. Now please consider this as a serious suggestion, place 2-3 newspapers around yourself while assembling this one. Crumbs and ganache make it too messy. To assemble:
- Once the cake and ganache are cooled, apply the ganache on the cake.
- Make it as even as possible so that the crumbs can stick everywhere.
- Now take a handful of crumbs and try to apply evenly on all sides and on the top.
- To shake off the excess [Since I did not have a fondant smoothner], I blew it off gently.
- Since I had some caramel, I piped it on and tada there we go.