This was one of the cake laters in the 7 layer wonder that I created for the DH’s Birthday. He was a happy man.
This has by far been the best chocolate cake recipe that I loved and was well taken by the crowd.
You shall need:
2-1/2 Cup… Flour
1 cup…. White Sugar
1 Cup…. Brown Sugar [I used light brown. In case you dont have, be free to use white sugar. Hence in that case a total of 2 cups of white sugar needs to go in the cake]
3/4 Cup… Cocoa
1-1/2 Tsp… Baking Powder
1-1/2 Tsp…Baking Soda
1 Tsp… Salt
2 Large… Eggs
1 Cup… Butter milk [To make this butter milk, pour milk in a 1 cup measuring container. Add 1 Tsp vinegar. Let it thicken for a couple of min. Butter milk ready]
1/2 Cup… Melted Butter
1 Tbsp.. Vanilla Essence
1 Cup… Coffee [Heat 1 cup water and add about 2 Tsp instant coffee]
2/3 Cup… Chocolate Chips [I used semi Sweet ones] — Optional
- Pre Hear oven to 189-190 degree C
- Sieve the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda keep seprate
- Beat the butter, vanilla and sugar for about 2 min and add eggs and flour alternatively.
- In all one egg-Half of the dry ingredients-second egg- Liquid ingredients [Butter milk and coffee]other half of the dry ingredients.
- In case you feel the batter is not smooth enough [aka it should drop from the blades of the belended when held above the batter bowl] add 1/3 cup of cold water.
- Once amalgamated, fold in the chips.
- Pour in 2 buttered/butter paper lined tins for 40-45 min or until the skewer comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Let it cool thoroughly before decorating.
Dont have a seperate picture of it but I do have the pic of the layers of the cake I used it for.
Hope you liked it.
This goes to:
To replace Egg [For an Eggless Version] use any of the following things. They substiture for 1 Egg. You may increase the quantities for as many eggs as the recipe calls for. Source
- 1 tsp baking powder + 1 1/2 TBS water + 1 1/2 TBS oil
- 1 tsp baking powder + 1 TBS water + 1 TBS vinegar
- 2 TBS water or milk + 2 TBS flour + 1/2 TBS shortening [Butter] + 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 TBS vinegar + 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 TBS lemon juice + 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 TBS cornstarch + 3 TBS water for each missing egg
- 2 TBS arrowroot flour
- 2 TBS potato starch
- 1 TBS tapioca starch + 1/4 cup warm water (mix well & allow to gel a bit before using)
- 1 tsp yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 banana, mashed (medium size) + 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 TBS applesauce
- 3 TBS mayonnaise (*contains eggs so not suitable for allergy or vegan accomodation)