Welcome back to the Gujarai Food 101 session 😀
Last night I made DH’s favourite veggie of all seasons “Cauliflower”. The punjabi Allu gobi is miles apart from the Gujarati Version. Punjabi’s put tomatoes, amchur, loads of garam masala, the Gujarati version has a very clear taste of the veggies.
Here it goes:
You shall need- [Feeds 2]
1…Medium size Cauliflower [Wash and cut in small pieces]
1… Large Potato [Peel, wash and cut in size same as cauliflower]
2…Green Chillies – finely chopped [In Bangalore the regular chillies are not that sharp, hence I tend to use more]
1/2 Tsp…Rai/Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp… Cumin Seeds
1 Tsp…Sambhar Powder [A gujarati curry powder. In case you dont have it, use 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder]
1-1/2 Tsp… Sugar/jaggery
1/4 Tsp… red Chilly Powder
1/4 Cup… water
A pinch of hing/asafoetida [optional]
- In a wok, heat oil. Add the hing, cumin and mustard Seeds. Let them crackle and brown.
- Add the green chillies and stir.
- Add the turmeric, sambhaar powder/garam masala, turmeric and red chilly powder.
- Add water and the chopped veggies.
- Over and cook on a low-medium flame for about 10 min/until the veggies are cooked through.
- Once done, add the sugar/jaggery and stir.
- Let the water dry.
- Serve with bhakri/chapati/with Dal-rice/Khichdi.