Well I was feeling bad for not posting enough pictures for Handvo [the sweet-savoury cake]
You shall need: [Makes about 3 handvos as big as the picture below]
For the flour base- [Soak for about 4-5 hours]— you may also use the ready to use handvo ka loth (flour) with gehun ka kakra loth [2:1 ratio]
2 Cup… Rice
1 Cup… Tuvar Dal
1/2 Cup… Chana Dal
1/2 Cup… Dhuli Urad Dal
For the handvo:
Grind the pulses above into a paste
2… Bottle Gourds/Ghiya/Lauki/Doodhi [Peeled and grated]
4-5…Green Chillies [Chipped finely]
1 Tsp…Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp…Chilly Powder
2 Tbsp…Curd Salt to taste
For Handvo Tempering:
3 Tbsp… Oil
1 Tbsp… Rai [Mustard Seeds]
2 Tbsp…Seasme Seeds
1/2 Tbsp Oil [6 times]
1/2 Tbsp…Seasme Seeds [6 times]
- Take the grated bottle bourd in a big bowl.
- Add the handvo Spices and mix well while squeezing the lauki. Let the water of the gourd come out.
- Add the lentils and rice puree and mix well. It should be of a consistency like that of a pan cake but it shall be lumpy due to the lauki.
- Taste and Adjust the jaggery and salt. It should taste like a sweet-salty batter with a hint of chilly.
- Heat the oil for tempering, add the mustard seeds and seasme seeds. Add it to the mixture and mix well.
- Cover it and put it aside for 3-4 hours.
To cook- Side 1
- Heat a shallow, straight bottom pan on a low flame.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp oil and seasme seeds. Swirl it around to distribute the seeds.
- Add about 4 ladle full of the mixture and level it straight on the pan.
- Cover and cook on the lowest flame.
- First side usually takes about 15 min.
- lift one side carefully and see if it has turned nice brown and crisp.
- Once done, put a thali on the pan and turn the handvo over [uncooked side down]
- Add another tempering layer of oil and seasme seeds and slide the uncooked side of the handvo in.
- Cover and cook for another 10 min.
- Once it if lovely brown, take it out of the pan and let it cook for 2-3 min. [It shall set even more once cooled]
- Repeat for the remaining batter.
Here are the pics.
- Peel the Lauki
- Mix the spices as her the recipe above
- Add the Ground dal/ready to use handvo mix
- Add Curd
- Make the tempering with Mustard Seeds and sesame seeds
- Add the tempering
- Set it aside for a couple of hours [Atleast 2]
- Make the base tempering for the Handvo to be cooked [in a shallow pan].
- For a pan of size as per the pic, I used 5-6 serving spoons and made a base for handvo
- Cover with a plate, once the bottom of the handvo is nice and brown, and flip it.
- Make the tempering again and slide the uncooked/not browned part in the pan.
And it is ready to devour. 🙂