I tried to replicate his Devil cake for Friendships day. And can I please please please brag about it? It was outstanding. The sponge, the shards, the filling and the assembly. It was rich, fluffy and dangerously addictive.
Here is what you shall need- makes one 7 inch two layer cake. [adapted]
For the cake-
2/3 cup… Butter [Room temp.]
2/3 cup… Cocoa
2/3 cup… Boiling water
1/3 cup… Whole milk-warm
1.5 cup… All Purpose Flour
1 Tsp… Baking Soda
1.5 cup…Sugar [grain]
3… Large Eggs [I used 4 medium ones]
1 Tbsp… Vanialla
For the Shards-
120 gms.. Bitter sweet chocolate chopped
For the ganache/filing-
150 gms… Bitter sweet chocolate – chopped
15- gms… Milk Chocolate – chopped
300 gms… Peanut Butter [creamy one]
1-2/3 cup… Cream [I used Amul cream]
- Make the shards first as they need to freeze for a couple of hours
- Melt the chocolate on a double boiler
- Take a 16 inch butter/parchment paper and spread the melted chocolate as thin as possible.
- Now put another sheet over it and roll it as tightly as possible.
- Place it in the fridge for about 4-5 hours.
- Once the time is up, take it out and in one swift action, un-roll the chocolate.
- You shall not have wonderfully asymmetric shards with luscious curves on them.
- Keep them in an airtight box until further use.
- Now for the cake
- Pre heat the oven at 175-180 C
- Sift the cocoa and add boiling water to it. Let it cook to Room temperature.
- Sift the Flour, soda and salt.
- Cream butter and add sugar to it. [I used a electric beater]
- Add vanilla and egg one by one.
- Alternate cocoa mixture and flour and mix thoroughly.
- Line 2 pans and divide the mixture equally.
- Bake for 30-35 min or until the skewer comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Bring the cake out to cook. After 10 min, pull the cakes out and let it cool on the rack.
- Melt the chocolates on a double boiler
- Remove from heat and whisk in the peanut butter and cream. [I used a hand whisk]
- Whisk until soft peaks are formed.
- To Assemble
- Cut the tops of the cake to make a straight surface.
- Place one of the cakes on the board.
- Put about 1/3 of the ganache on the cake and spread well.
- Place the 2nd cake on top and cover it with the remaining ganache.
- Dont bother about making it smooth 😉 it shall be made lovely with the shards.
- Now take out the shards and stick it all round the cake.
- Put tiny bits on the top of the cake.
- Put in the fridge for a few hours.
- Take out about 30 min before serving. [This is wrt to Bangalore weather, it might vary in diff temp’s]
Share with love.
Sending it to:
Eid Pot Luck at My Culinary Adventure