Here is first of the many dishes from my Gujarati Thali Spread. Tindora nu Shaak or Ivy Gourd stir fry.
You shall need: [Feeds 2]
200 gms… Tindora/Ivy Gourd [Wash and cut length wise]
1 tsp… Jeera
Scant pinch of asafotida
1 tsp… Red Chilly powder [or as per taste]
1/2 tsp… turmeric powder
1 tbsp.. Jaggery powder [or grated jaggery]
1/3 cup.. water
Salt to taste
- In a wok, heat oil.
- Add the jeera and asafotida.
- Once jeera changes color slightly, add the tindora and stir it around for a few sec.
- Turn the gas to slow-medium heat and add the water.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook until soft. You might need to add a little more water if it is not soft enough.
- Once it is nearly done, add all the spices and jaggery.
- Let the water evaporate from the tindora.
- Serve with Bhakri.