For September, Patriv gave us a beautiful Empanada to try in the kitchen. Since my husband is from a vegetarian family, I decided to make this with bulgar and spices. I am sorry for posting late.
You shall need:
1 cup…. All Purpose Flour
1 cup… Whole wheat flour
1.5 tsp… Dry Active yeast
5 tbsp… Oil
1/2 tsp.. Sugar
3/4 cup… Warm water
1/2 cup… Whole wheat bulgar
1… medium size onion [finely chopped]
1… medium size tomato [finely chopped]
1.2 cup… boiling water
1/2 tsp… Paprika/red chilly powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp… Oil
- Put the yeast in warm water and add the sugar.
- Once it froths, add it to the flours.
- Add the oil and salt and make a dough.
- Let the dough proof from atleast 1 hour.
- half the dough and roll it as thin as you want to pie to be.
- Place the rolled dough on a baking tray.
- To make the filling now, in a pan, heat the oil, and sweat the onions.
- Add the tomatoes and the spices.
- Cook it until the tomatoes are reduced.
- Add the bulgur and mix well.
- Now add the boiling water and reduce the flame to medium.
- Cover with a lid and cook until done. It should be dry to touch. Adjust the seasoning.
- Let it cool completely.
- Add the filling to the rolled dough in the center.
- Roll the 2nd half of the dough, it should be slightly smaller than the base.
- Cover the bulgur with it, and turn the edges to seal.
- With the remaining dough, cut shapes and stick on the empanada.
- Make a hole on the top of the empanada and bake in a pre heated oven at 180C.
- Brush it with milk/beaten egg and bake it for 40 min, until nice and golden.
- Serve it with salsa.