A warm luscious pale white delight for a chilly morning.
I have very fond memories of Upma. There were times when I used to get late for school and mum used to make this upma. Even it it was super hot, I had to gulp it down in full just coz I loved it too much to let go.
You shall need: [Serves 2]
3/4 cup… Rava
1.. Medium Onion [chopped]
1.. Green chilly [finely chopped]
1/4 cup…. Peas
1/4 cup.. Grated carrot [squeeze the liquid from them]
1.5 cup… water
Salt to taste
1 tbsp.. Ghee
1/2 tbsp.. Urad dal
1/4 tsp… Rai/mustard seeds
4-5… curry leaves
- In a wok, heat the ghee.
- Add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Add curry leaves once the dal changes color.
- To this, add the onions and some salt.
- Let them sweat but make sure they dont get brown.
- Add the green chillies.
- To this, add the rava. You may add another tbsp of ghee if you want.
- Once rava is coated with the ghee, add water and peas.
- On a medium flame, cover and cook for 5-7 min.
- The rava shall not appear nice and swollen.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add the carrot for the final 2 min of cooking.
- Serve warm with a nice squirt of lime.
Sending this to-