Soya has a love and hate relationship in the house. I love it and the pati detests it 😦
However once when I did give it to him for lunch as a curry, he didnt complain. So I took the liberty of making the Mexican rice from the Pressure cooking book from Nita Mehta. Page 80.
You shall need: [Feeds 3-4]
1 cup… Rice
2 tbsp… Ghee
1/4 tsp… Jeera
1″… Dalchini/cinnamon stick
1/4 cup… Soya Nuggets [I used mini ones. Soak them in Luke warm 1/4 cup water for 30 min]
3-4 tbsp… Tomato Puree
1 … Sliced onion
Salt to taste
1.5 cup… water
1/4 tsp… red chilly powder
green and orange food color optional
- In the cooker, heat ghee. Add the dalchini, cardamom and jeera.
- Add the onion and cook until light brown.
- Now add the puree, salt, red chilly powder. Cook until the fat leaves the masala.
- Now squeeze the nuggets off excess milk and add to the masala.
- Stir until it is evenly coated.
- Add the drained rice to the masala.
- Now pour 1.5 cup water and bring it to the boil.
- Put the cooker lid on and cook upto 3 whistles.
- Let the steam settle. Serve warm.
- I added 2 food colors to give some layer and color.
Check out the marathoners running this 22nd edition of blogging marathon here.
brain child of Zesty South Indian Kitchen
Brain child of Valli.