Let me introduce you to a gujju favourite bean. Lila Tuver Seeng.
This is generally available in the winters. At Bangalore I found it at the central jail road vegetable market [Electronic city]. I also hear that it is available at Jayanagar too.
It is used for all sorts of sides, farsaans and the like.
I made a simple curry with cabbage and added these beauties to it.
You shall need: [Feeds 4]
400 gms… Cabbage [Finely sliced]
1/2 cup… Tuvel Seeng [Boiled and par cooked]
1…green chilly [Finely chopped]
1/2 tbsp… Sambhaar masala [You may skip it if you dont have]– Please note that this is not “Sambhar” masala, this is a gujarati achaar masala, ready to use]
Red chilly powder to taste
1/2 tsp… Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp… Jeera
1/2 tsp.. rai
1/2 tsp… Dhana-jeeru powder
A pinch of asafoteda/heeng
2 tbsp… Oil
1/2 cup… water
- In a wok, heat the oil.
- Add jeera, rai and heeng.
- Now add the sambhaar masala, salt, turmeric, dhana jeeru and cook briefly.
- Add water and let the masalas simmer.
- Now add the tuver seeng and cabbage.
- Reduce the heat to medium flame.
- Place a lid on the wok and cook until done. Stir occasionally.
- Serve with Bhakri
We had got it for lunch yesterday 🙂