I had a stunning Vegetarian Biryani at Golden Palms resort, Bangalore. It was mind blowing. So I decided to make my version of the excellent dish at home.
You shall need: [Feeds 2]
For the Rice-
1.5 cup… Long grain rice / Basmati [Soak for 30 min]
1 Stick…. Cinnamon
2 tbsp… Ghee
1/2 tsp.. Salt
For the Masala Vegetables:
2… Tomatoes [Pureed]
1/2 cup…Par cooked vegetables of your choice- Except Cauliflower and potatoes. [I used Beans, peas and carrots] Dice them in equal Size
1… Large Potato [Peeled and sliced in thin rounds]
about 7-8 small cauliflower florets
3 tbsp… Malai
1 tbsp… Fresh Cream [I used Amul]
1… Medium size onion [finely sliced]
2… Green chillies [Slit in the center]
1/2 tsp… Black Cumin seeds/Shahi Jeera
1/2 tbsp.. Cumin powder
1/2 tsp… Turmeric powder
1 tbsp.. Dhaniya powder
1 tbsp… Ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp… Oilive oil
3-4 tbsp… Ghee
Food color and saffron [optional]
- In a baking tray, add the cauliflower florets and pout 1 tbsp olive oil and some salt on it.
- Bake it in a 170 C oven for 30 min. Stir them when they are 15 min into the oven.
- Once they are nice and brown and cooked, keep aside until further use.
- In a pan, heat some oil for shallow frying.
- Pat dry the potato slices and add them to the oil.
- Cook them until they are nice golden and cooked.
- Take them out of the pan and keep aside.
- In a cooker, put 2 tbsp ghee and add the black cardamom, bay leaf and cinnamon.
- Add the rice and add just enough water that covers the rice about 1/4th of an inch above.
- Cook it upto 2 whistles and set it aside.
- In another pan, add 3-4 tbsp ghee.
- Fry shahi jeera, ginger garlic paste in it and add the onions. Cook until they are nice and brown.
- Add green chillies
- Now add the puree, turmeric powder, salt, cumin powder, dhaniya powder and red chilly powder.
- Cook the masala until it floats on top.
- Now turn off the gas and mix in the fresh cream and malai.
- Mix them well and turn on the gas on low flame.
- Add the caluliflower to it and mix.
- Turn off the gas and rest the curry
- In a serving dish [I used a porcelain one] put a thin layer of rice.
- Now spread out a layer of the potatoes.
- Add the curry on top of them and put another layer of rice on top.
- In some warm milk, add Saffron and let it sit until it is nice and golden in color.
- Pour at alternate places over the rice. You may use green color too.
- Sprinkle corriander and friend onion on top and keep it in the oven to keep warm until use.
- I covered it with foil before putting in the oven.
- Serve it with a light curry of your choice/salan/raita.
It did get me a pat on the back from the rice loving pati 🙂
Sending this to: Images have been hyperlinked
brain child of Zesty South Indian Kitchen
Brain child of Valli.
Brain child of Jagruti