For sometime now I have been itching to make vintage cakes that I have been reading about. There is something rustic and no hassle feel about them that I am very fond of.
Here is how it came out.
You shall need:
For the cake- [Feeds upto 12-14]
2 cups… Cake Flour [For each cup of All purpose flour, remove 2 tbsp and replace it with cornflour. Here you shall remove 4 tbsp of AP Flour and add 4 tbsp of cornstarch. Sift it twice atleast before use]
1.5 cup… White sugar [grain]
1 tsp… Baking soda
1.5 tsp.. baking Powder
A pinch of salt
A small Fruit cocktail tin with the liquid
2 eggs [Slightly whisked]
1.4 cup.. Milk
- Sift the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add sugar to it. Mix well.
- Mix the Egg and milk.
- Pour it in the dry ingredients.
- Add the fruit cocktail with its liquid.
- Add a few more tbsp of milk if you feel batter is very thick. [We need cake to be of pouring consistency]
- Pout in a lined tin and bake in a pre heated oven at 180C for 45 min or until the skewer comes out clean. [I used a 26″ springform]
- Once it is done, let it rest in the oven itself.
For the Sauce:
You shall need-
1/2 cup … Almonds [Finely crushed]
1/2 cup…. Brown sugar
1/4 cup.. Butter
1/2 cup… Milk
- Heat milk and butter in a pan.
- Turn off the heat and add the sugar and almonds.
- Prick the cake at several places with the fork and spread this sauce evenly. [Make sure the cake is still warm when you do this]
- Place it in the oven or at a warm place.
- Serve with cream or ice cream
Sending this to:
at Simply food