For this month’s Baking Partner’s challenge we went festive and had an option to make any cake out of Neapolitan cake, plum cake and Brazil Nut chocolate cake. Since I could not find brazil nuts 😦 I tried to make the cake with some roasted peanuts and almonds. I topped it with peanut caramel sauce. My version of Neapolitan cake is here.
You shall need:
For the cake-
1/2 cup… Almonds
1/2 cup… Peanuts [Without the skin preferably]
1/2 cup… Dark Chocolate
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp… Sugar
1/4 cup…. All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp… Baking powder
1/2 cup… Butter [Room temperature] The original recipe asked for 3./4 cup but since both peanuts and almonds have high oil content I chose to put in less butter. Trust me it was the right decision
4… Eggs [separated]
- Pre heat oven to 175-180C
- Toast the nuts in a pan on low heat until they leave some oil. Dont let them burn.
- Churn them in a mixer with 2 tbsp sugar and make a fine powder out of it.
- Take a fork and work the lumps out, if any.
- In this now sift the flour and baking powder. Keep aside
- Melt chocolate either on a double burner or in the microwave [Power 100 for a min first then 30 more seconds if needed]
- Cream butter and 4 tbsp sugar until fluffy.
- Add yolk one at a time and mix well.
- Add the chocolate to the butter mix.
- Add flour to it too.
- In a separate dry bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks from.
- Add 2 tbsp sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Dont over beat it.
- Fold the whites gently in the cake mixture. Mix a 1/3rd of mixture at a time.
- Pour it in a lined tin and bake for 35-40 min until the skewer comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for 15 min. Take it out on a cooling rack and let it cool completely
For the caramel sauce:
3/4 cup… Peanuts
1 cup… Sugar
1/2 cup… Cream
1/2 tbsp… Honey
1 tbsp… Butter
- In a heavy base pan, add the water and sugar.
- Let the sugar turn nice and brown on a low-medium flame.
- Add cream, honey and butter. It shall splutter a lot. Try not to get sugar burns.
- Using a spoon, try to remove lumps.
- Cook it for a few min and then add peanuts.
- Turn off the gas.
Assembling the cake-
- Using a fork, make holes on the cake.
- Pour the caramel on the cake.
- Let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with love
Also sending this to:
Announcing Christmas Event