For this month’s SNC challenge the North team was given a challenge to make Medu vada. This soft, fluffy yet crunchy delight comes from Kuk’s Kitchen.
I made it this morning and had it for breakfast. It was fabulous.
You shall need: [makes 12 small or 8 big ones]
1 cup…. Urad dal [Washed and soaked overnight]
1/2 tsp…Pepper Powder
A pinch of heeng [Asafoteda]
1/2 .. Medium size onion [Finely chopped]
Salt and water
Oil to deep fry
- Coarsely grind the rinsed dal [Remove all water from it] with green chillies.
- Add very little water if required.
- Put oil to be heated for deep frying
- Take it out in a bowl, add the pepper, salt, heeng, onion and mix well.
- We the palm of your hands and take a ping pong size ball of the mixture in your hand.
- Give it a proper shape and make a hole in it.
- Drop it in the oil carefully.
- Serve warm with sambhar and chutney
Points to remember:
- My dal batter was little loose, so the maid suggested that I should add some rice flour. This shall make the dough more pliable but the vada will not be as soft as you would want it to be.
- Be very careful while putting the vada in the oil, I burnt the tip of my finger as it was too close to the oil.
I shall definitely make more of this soon. I belong to the north team.
Thanks for the opportunity Divya.