Parwal is also known as Point Gourd and looks like this
We generally peel the outer skin of this vegetable. Take a knife and keep it perpendicular to the vegetable. Peel it in long strokes lightly.
7-8 … Parwals [Remove seeds if they are very hard. Cut length wise]
1… medium size potato [peeled, washed and cut length wise just like the parwal]
1 tbsp … oil
1/2 tsp… Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp… Mustard Seeds
a pinch of heeng
1/4 tsp… Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp… Red Chilly powder
1 tbsp… Jaggery
1/2 tsp… Dhaniya powder
1/4 tsp…Jeera powder
- In a pan, add oil and once it is heated, add cumin and mustard seeds.
- Add green chillies, turmeric powder, salt and red chilly powder.
- Add the veggies and stir.
- Add 1/4 cup water and stir.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium heat.
- Add water if it evaporates and the veggies are not cooked.
- Once they are almost done, add the jaggery and cook without the lid.
- Serve warm with bhakri or chapati.