For Day 3 of Cooking with alphabets [BM#25] , I tried this Jewish-Iraqi delight. It is basically a bread dough samosa. Usually it is filled with chick peas or meats. I made the filling with peanuts and Peas.
You shall need [Makes about 8 pieces]
For the Dough-
1.5 cup…. All purpose Flour/Maida
1.5 tsp… Active Dry yeast
5 tbsp… Warm milk
a pinch of sugar
1 tsp… Fennel seeds
1 tsp… Khus Khus seeds [Poppy seeds]
1.5 tsp… Salt
2 tbsp… Oil
water to make the dough
For the Filling-
2 tbsp… Oil
1 cup… Boiled Peas
1.. Medium onion [chopped finely]
1 tsp.. Turmeric powder
1.5 tsp… Corriander powder
1 tsp… Cumin powder
1/2 tsp… Red chilly powder
1/2 cup… Roasted peanuts [crushed coarsely]
1 tbsp… Sesame seeds
1/2 tsp… Amchur powder [Dry mango powder]
Oil to fry
- Put the yeast in the warm milk with the sugar and let it stand for 10 min.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, seeds and oil.
- Now add the yeast and milk mix and make a soft dough out of it with the help of water.
- Massage the dough well for about 5-7 min and then oil the top portion of the dough before putting it in a warm place to rise.
- It should almost double in size in about an hour.
- In the meanwhile, to make the filling, in a wok heat the oil.
- Add onions and green chillies.
- Fry them well till they are nice and golden.
- Add the peas, salt, red chilly powder, cumin powder, corriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix well.
- Now add the sesame seeds, amchur powder and peanuts.
- Mix well until the peas are well coated with the masala.
- Take it out in a dish and let it cook completely.
- Once the dough has doubled, punch it down and make 8-10 same size balls out of it.
- Roll them one by one in a circle and add some filling in the center.
- Fold the dough circle in a semi circle and punch the sides of the Sambusac with a fork.
- Repeat for others.
- Heat oil in a wok, reduce the flame to medium-low when the oil has smoked.
- Add the sambusac’s two at a time or as many as you are comfortable and fry until golden brown.
- Do not add them in HOT oil as the dough shall not be cooked properly.
Sending this to:
at Simply Tadka
at Cook’s Joy
at Food Corner