Oh Baking partners never fail to surprise me. They make me make bread at home. It was such a masterpiece. Soft, wholesome and very yumm.
Tangzhong method is the one where we make a flour and water paste by cooking them on gas. It is added to the bread mix when it is cooled. Most of the recipes suggest that we must wait overnight to use the Tangzhong for better results.
You shall need [makes 1 loaf]
Ingredients For The “Tang Zhong”:
1/3 Cup (25g)…. Bread flour
1 Cup (125g)…. Water
Ingredients For The “Dough”:
125g (125ml) ….Full fat milk
120g….Tang zhong2 1/2 Cups ….flour 3 Tbs + 1 Tsp (50g)…. Castor sugar 1 Tbs…. Powdered milk 15 gms… Fresh Yeast 1 Tsp…. salt 3 Tbs (45g)…Unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and at room temperature 1 Tbs …oil, for greasing the bowl Method:
- Mix the flour and water in a pan and cook on a low heat.
- Continue whisking gently until lines are visible in the roux [Flour-water mix].
- The mix shall become thick. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl.
- Let it cool completely. Cover the bowl with a cling film.
- Combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a bowl.
- Add to the processor, churn it once so that everything mixes properly.
- Now in a small bowl, mix the milk and tangzhong.
- Add it to the dry ingredients.
- Churn for 5 min first, using a spatula scrape the sticky dough from the mixing bowl onto a floured surface.
- Knead the dough until it is nice and soft and amalgamated.
- You must be able to pull a small ball of dough apart and see a thin membrane form.
- Transfer it to a oiled bowl and cover with a cling film.
- Let it rise in a warm place to the double its size. Usually takes 50-60 min depending on the warmth of the place.
- Once it has doubled, punch the air out.
- Add some flour to a flat surface, make 4 equal size balls from the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll it out to an oval.
- Fold the lengthwise parts inward and roll the dough from top to bottom.
- Repeat for the other 3.
- Place them in the baking tray/bread mould and let it proof for another 40 min.
- Once done, brush with milk sprinkle sesame seeds and put in a pre heated oven at 180C for 50 min or until the bread is nice and golden [I didnt let that happen to my bread hence the pale color]
- Once baked, tap the bottom of the bread to hear the famous hollow sound. This means you can pat your back for a job well done.
- Let it cool on a wire rack. Cut and serve