For BM#26 the first theme I chose is “Cooking from a cook book of different authors with a single ingredient”
I chose “Gram Flour”. Second course “Main Dish” I picked the cookbook “Simple Cooking from Grandma’s Kitchen” by “Karen Anand” . I have made Gujarati Kadhi a lot but here is the punjabi version.
You shall need:
For the Kadhi-
2 cup… Curd
1 cup… Gram flour/besan
2 tbsp… oil
1/4 tsp… Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp…. Nigella seeds [Kalaunji]
1/4 tsp… Fenugreek seeds
1-2… Dried chillies
1/4 tsp… Haldi powder
Salt to taste
For the pakodi/dumplings-
1 cup… Besan
1/4 tsp… Salt
1 tbsp… Warm oil
1/2 cup… Curd
Oil to deep fry
Method: For Kadhi-
- Whisk curd until creamy and add 5 cup of water.
- Put gram flour in another bowl and add the curd water mix little at a time. Make sure it is not lumpy.
- Heat oil in a pan on moderate heat..
- Add whole spices. Add chillies
- Add turmeric.
- Pour in the curd-water-gram flour mix.
- Add salt and bring to a boil stirring continuously.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 20 min.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix gram flour, salt and oil in a bowl.
- Add curd and mix well.
- We need a thick batter, add a couple of tbsp of water if needed.
- Mix the batter until it becomes light and airy.
- Heat oil for deep frying the pakodas.
- Make small dumplings and lower in the oil.
- Fry until they are nice and golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon.
- Add to the kadhi and simmer it for 10 min.
- Serve with rice.