Day 2 of the 30 day blogging 🙂 SNC gave me an opportunity to try and make the Dum Biryani. 🙂
This recipe is part of the 30 day Blogging Marathon for this month. Check out other participants here in the Blogging Marathon page.
Theme 1- Occasions
Occasion for Day 1- Guests at short notice
Trust me this biryani took only 1.5 hours in all to complete. It was all made from scratch. I made the mughali version.
You shall need: -Serves 4
1.5 cup… Vegetables of your choice [Par boiled. I took cauliflower, potatoes, turnips, peas and carrots]
2.5 cup… Basmati Rice [wash and soak for 30 min]
2 tbsp… Poppy seeds [Soaked in some water]
1/3 cup… Cashew nuts
1/2 cup… Curd
2 tbsp.. ghee
1/2 cup.. Boiled onion paste
1 stick on cinnamon
3-4… Big cardamom pods
1 tbsp… Shahi jeera
2 green chillies [paste]
2.. dried red chillis
yellow and green color
Saffron strands in warm milk
- Par boil the rice and keep aside. Fluff them using 2 forks.
- In a pan, heat the ghee.
- Add the cardamom pods,jeera, red chilly and onion paste.
- Cook until nice and light brown.
- Add the vegetables, green chilly paste, salt and some water.
- In a grinder, pound poppy seeds and cashew nuts ti a fine paste.
- Mix this paste in the curd and whisk.
- Add the mix to the vegetables on a slow flame.
- Let them cook until fat leaves the masala.
- Set aside until further use.
- Divide the rice in 3 portions. Add green color to one batch and yellow color to another batch.
- Mix all 3 together.
- In a big vessel, add one layer of rice, then the vegetables. Repeat twice.
- Top it finally with the rice and add spoonfuls of the saffron and milk on top of it.
- Heat a griddle/tava on slow flame.
- Put this vessel on the tava.
- Cover with a towel then a plate.
- Put something heavy on top of it.
- Let it cook for 15-20 min.
- Serve with sides of your choice.