Manjula from Desi Fiesta challenged us to make breads for last months home bakers challenge. She had a version of sweet pull apart bread but since the family loved savory breads, I had to make some changes. 🙂
So what is this monkey bread? It is a bread that one eats like a monkey eats fruits from the trees.
You shall need:
For the dough-
3 cup… All purpose flour [plus some more for dusting]
1 tbsp… Salt
2 tbsp… Fresh yeast [or 1 tbsp dry active]
2 tbsp… Butter
1.5 cup… Water
For the filling:
3 … boiled potatoes
1 cup… Cheese [I used mozzarella]
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp.. Chilly flakes
2 tsp.. Oregano
2 tbsp… Fresh corriander
Some bread crumbs to sprinkle on top
- Knead the dough like this.
- Keep it on a big bowl and cover with a wet kitchen towel.
- Let it rise for 1.5 hrs.
- Punch it down and make ping pong ball size dough balls out of it.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling.
- Flatter the dough ball and add a small amount of the filling to it.
- Cover the filling with the dough and seal it well.
- In a greased bread pan/rectangle pan/bundt pan/cake pan, arrange it properly.
- Repeat for all the dough balls.
- If there is extra filling, put it in between the dough balls.
- Let it rise again for 30 min.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180C for 20-25 min.
- When 15 min are gone by in the baking cycle, brush with an egg wash and sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- For the last 5 – 7 min, bake on both the rods on. This shall give the top a nice color.
- Serve with love.
Sending this to:
hosted by Nivedhanams brain child of Preeti.