Bhindi is my first love. I have fond memories of loving the bhindi that my school friend’s , Nupur, mom used to pack in her lunch box. I can never make it her way even if I want. :)
Today I got up super early with the husband who had a flight to catch. Bangalore Airport’s distance is such a pain I tell you :(
Anyway. Here is my fav concoction for the bharwaan bhindi.
You shall need: (Serves 2)
250-300 gms… Fresh medium/small size Okra/Ladies finger/Bhindi (wash them and wipe with a cloth to soak them. Cut the ends and keep)
1 tbsp… Sesame seeds/Til
1 tbsp… Cumin/Jeera powder
1 tbsp… Dhaniya powder/Coriander powder
1/2 tbsp… Amchoor powder/Chat masala *optional
1/2 tbsp… Anardana powder
Salt and red chilly powder to taste
1 tbsp… oil
1 tsp… jeera/ cumin seeds
- Slit the bhindi length wise making a pocket to stuff the masala.
- In a small bowl, add all the masalas and mix well.
- Carefully fill the bhindi with the masala, generously.
If a little masala is left, it is good :)
- Once they are all done, heat oil in a pan and add the jeera.
- Once it browns a little, reduce the heat to low-medium.
- Add the bhindi one at a time and lay them properly in the pan.
- Let them cook on one side for a few min.
- Toss them gently and let the other side cook.
- Sprinkle the extra masala on top and mix with a light hand.
- The bhindi shall be done once it changes color to dark green.
- Serve with roti/bhakri/paratha.