My most favorite spice mix is Panch phoran. It is Bengali spice mix and makes for the most flavorful tadka. It contains 5 spices, namely: fenugreek seed, nigella seed, cumin seed, black mustard seed and fennel seed in equal parts. I use it in a lot of dishes so why not naan too. 🙂
You shall need: (Makes about 5)
1 cup… All purpose flour
5 tbsp… Curd
1 tsp… Baking soda
1/2 tsp… Salt
1/2 tsp… Sugar
1 tbsp… Panch Phoran (dry roast in a pan for 2-3 min)
2 tsp… oil
1 tbsp… Butter (room temp)
1 tsp… Cumin
1 tsp… Paprika
- In a small bowl, mix butter , cumin and paprika and keep aside.
- In a bowl, add the flour, salt, sugar, spices and knead with the curd.
- Once the dough is nice and soft, put it in a oiled bowl, cover with tea towel and place on the counter for about an hour.
- Pre heat oven to 190C, on a buttered tray, place a rolled dough ball.
- Using a brush, apply a little of the spiced butter and bake for 5-7 min.
- Take it out and apply the butter once more and return to baking it for about 7-8 min.
- Serve hot with a dollop of the butter.
- Serve with love.