For the third week we are making rice with a twist. 🙂
I am a brown rice fan and I make it more often than ever. Recently I picked up Roopak’s Biryani Rice spice blend. It just made the life so simple. It had everything that I used to collect meticulously before making the biryani. 🙂
You shall need:
1 cup… Brown rice (Soaked for about 4 hours)
1.5 cup… Water
1/2 cup… Peas
1/3 cup… Groundnuts
1 tbsp… Biryani masala
2 tbsp… Ghee
2 tsp… jeera/cumin seeds
Salt and red chilly powder to taste
1 tsp… turmeric powder
- In a pressure cooker, add the ghee and let it get nice and hot.
- Now add the biryani masala and cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin splutters,
- add the peas, turmeric, red chilly powder, salt and the rice.
- Mix them well.
- Add water and let it pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- In case your brown rice variety does not cook in 1.5 cup water (based on past experience), feel free to add another half a cup.
- Serve hot or pack for lunch at work. 🙂