For the husband’s 32nd birthday I decided to use this reference image from pinterest to create this gorgeous cake.
Well I was spell-bound at the sheer beauty of this pain staking wonder. My humble attempt is for the person who made this tutorial. It is of so much help.
I have adapted the recipe from this place. She has done such a beautiful job with the cake. It looks perfect.
I made a doodle of the cake to make sure I dont miss out on the elements.
- Vanilla Sponge
- Lemon and Lime cream cheese filling and frosting
- Chocolate swiss roll cake sheets
- Chocolate Ganache
You shall need:
For the Vanilla Sponge-
I close my eyes and used 1/3rd of this recipe
1 cup… Sifted All purpose flour
1.5 tsp… Baking powder
1/8th tsp… Salt
1/3 cup… unsalted butter softened
1/2 cup… Sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tsp… vanilla essence
1/3 cup… Milk at room temp
- Pre heat an oven to 170C
- In a bowl, cream sugar and butter. Beat until pale
- Add the egg and beat again.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Sift all the dry ingriedients in a bowl and keep aside.
- Put half of the dry ingredients and beat in the butter sugar mix.
- Add half of the milk.
- Put the rest of the flour and mix.
- Add the milk and mix well.
- In a lined tin, pour the batter and bake for 15-20 min until a skewer when inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Keep it out on the cooling rack for 10 min and then unmould.
For the Chocolate swiss roll cake-
You shall need: I used martha stweart’s recipe (doubled)
1/2 cup… cocoa powder
2/3 cup plus 4 tbsp… All purpose flour
Pinch of salt
6 large whole eggs plus 4 large egg yolks
1 cup ….sugar
8 tablespoons … unsalted butter, melted and cooled completely
- Pre heat the oven to 200 C and line two cake sheet trays with baking paper.
- Put a bowl of water to simmer, in a heatproof bowl add the eggs and sugar.
- Place this bowl on the simmering water (make use it does not touch the water).
- Using a whisk, amalgamate the sugar and eggs.
- Keep mixing them until the sugar is dissolved and the egg-sugar mix is warm to touch.
- Take it off the heat and using a beater, beat it for 4-5 min or until the mix is fluffy and pale.
- Sift the dry ingredients and fold carefully in the egg sugar mix.
- Pour the butter slowly at one of the edge and mix it carefully. We dont want to knock all the lovely air out.
- Divide the batter in the trays equally and bake each tray for 7-8 min or until the cake is springy to touch.
- Using a tea cloth/kitchen towel, invert the cake on it and peel off the butter sheet carefully.
- While the cakes are warm, roll them carefully in the cloth and keep aside until further use.
For the filling-
You shall need:
100 gms… Cream cheese
40 gms… softened butter
1.5 cup… icing sugar
2 tbsp… corn flour
few drops of yellow color
5 tbsp… Lime and lemon jam/preserve (Or you may use zest and juice of 2 limes and 2 lemons)
- In a bowl, cream the cheese and butter.
- Add half of the sugar and cornflour.
- Add the jam/preserve.
- Add the balance dry ingredients and color
- Beat until nice and fluffy (Adjust the lemony flavor.)
- Cover with cling film and keep aside until used.
Make ganache with 1:1 ratio of semi sweet chocolate and cream.
- Open the cakes and cut them length wise in half.
- Spread the filling forming a thin layer on the cake strips.
- Roll the first strip, filling side in as tightly as you may. be sure to not break it.
- Using a little frosting, attach next strip and roll it over the existing roll.
- By the end of all the strips, you must have a big roulade with you.
- Wrap it in the cling film and leave it chill overnight or atleast for 5 hours.
- Layer the vanilla cake in two.
- Spread a little ganache in it and put the roulade on it.
- Put another thin layer of ganache on the roulade’s top and put the other vanilla layer.
- Seal the cake crumbs with the remaining frosting and put in the fridge for 30 min. (The heat was terrible for cream cheese frosting 😦 ) You may try any other frostinf of your choice.
- Pour ganache on the cake once the cake has rested in the fridge.
- Let the ganache set, decorate as you please.