Oh I am so proud of what I churned out today for lunch 🙂 We are having a pot luck and I offered to make the main.
This “layer rice” is also notoriously called Vegetable Biryani. However I would like to keep it the way it is 😉 Layer Rice.
You shall need: (Serves 4)
For the rice-
600 gms… Basmati Rice (Soak for 30min)
3… Bay leaves
2 tsp… shahi jeera
4…. Green cardamoms
2 tbsp… ghee
For the vegetables-
1 cup… cauliflower florets
3 tbsp… Oil
3-4… cubed potatoes
1/2 cup… peas
1/2 cup… cubed carrots (I didn’t add, as I didn’t have any)
1 tbsp… Kasuri Methi
3-4.. green chillies
1 tbsp… dried mint or 2 sprigs fresh mint leaves
2 tsp… Shahi jeera
3-4… green cardamoms
2-3… black cardamoms
2… bay leaves
For the Marinade-
1.5 cup… Curd (a little sour is good)
2 tbsp… Almond-Khus Khus seeds paste (Make it with a few tbsp of curd)
2 tbsp… kasuri methi
2 tsp… garam masala
Red chilly powder
1 tsp… Turmeric powder
Browned Onion slices (fried)
2 tbsp… Ghee
10-12 strands of Saffron soaked in warm water
- To the boiling water, add the bay leaves, pepper corns, shahi jeera, ghee and cardamoms.
- Add the rice and salt. Let it cook for 15-17 min or until they are a little short of being fully cooked.
- Drain it in a colander and keep aside.
- In a wok, heat the oil. Add jeera, cardamoms and bay leaves.
- Add the vegetables and methi with little water.
- Cover and cook the veggies until they still have a bite. We dont want them to be over done.
- In the curd, mix the spices, some fried onion and the almond khus khus paste.
- Mix the curd with the veggies that are still warm.
- Let it sit for about 10-12 min.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add a layer of half the rice and put a sprinkle of garam masala, saffron, ghee and some brown onions.
- Layer the veggies on top of this.
- Now cover them with the remaining rice and add the ghee, saffron, garam masala and onions.
- Before serving, put it in the lowest temperature setting of the microwave to heat everything through.
- Serve with raita and salan.