I read a lot about these, I will not lie. All the pics that I saw and all the recipe’s I came across, had different qty of cocoa powder. I wanted the right red, so Wilton’s Christmas red came to my mind. Hopped to buy the 1Oz bottle for 385 bucks, it is worth every penny, I tell you 🙂
So here is recipe that made the prefect cloud like red velvet.
You shall need:
For the cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups …vegetable oil
1 cup… buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Red food coloring
2 1/2 cups… all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups…. sugar
1 teaspoon …baking soda
3/4 teaspoon… salt
1 Tablespoon … cocoa powder
For the frosting:
250 gms… cream cheese [at room temperature]
1 cup…. powdered sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 to 3/4 cup… cold heavy whipping cream (to be adjusted according to the consistency of the frosting)
For the cupcake-
- In a bowl, mix oil, eggs, butter milk and red color.
- On another bowl, sieve the dry ingredients.
- Fold half of the dry ingredients in the wet at a time.
- Mix well to avoid lumps but don’t over mix.
- Pour 2/3 rd in a cupcake tray with liners.
- Bake in a 180C pre heated oven for 20-25 min or until they are springy to touch.
For the frosting-
- Beat cream cheese, vanilla, butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add whipping cream few tbsp at a time until you get the desired consistency.
Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, frost them as you please.
Serve with love.