Apples have been a big part of me growing up. We always had a love and hate relationship, however since the pati now loves it a LOT; we always have some in the fridge. Anyway this apple was somehow tucked behind the flours in the fridge. When I found this one, it was frail and the skin was starting to shrivel. So this cake came to life 🙂
You shall need:
1 large apple [Skin it and soak it in salted water]
4 tbsp Brown sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup curd
1.5 cup All purpose flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1.5 tsp Vanilla Essence
1.5 tsp Cinnamon powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1.5 tsp Baking powder
1/4 cup oil
- Pre heat oven to 180C.
- Line a springform pan with butter paper on the base and brush the sides with butter.
- Cut the apple in thin slices and keep aside.
- Mix 2 tbsp butter with 3 tbsp brown sugar and spread on the base of the pan.
- Line the apples in the tin in the fashion that you like.
- Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar on the apples and keep aside.
- In a bowl add curd and sugar and wisk it well.
- Now add the vanilla and mix. Add the baking powder and soda and let it sit for atleast 10 min. This will make the curd bubble and give us the much needed sponge in the cake.
- Sift the flour and cinnamon and add half of it to the curd mix.
- Add the oil and mix well.
- Add the remaining flour and mix gently. Do not overmix. mix only until combined.
- Pour the batter on the apples and bake for 30-35 min or until the skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done, Pull it out and let it sit for atleast 10 min.
- Remove the pan’s side and turn the cake sponge side down on a plate.
- Remove the butter paper carefully. A glossy apples shall make you smile 🙂
- Keep the butter paper slightly bigger than the base so that the runny sugar and butter can be caught on it.
- Try to pack the apples as tightly as possible so that the cake batter gets locked on top of it. Someone of it will find a way to the bottom but that is okay.