Oh what thunderous response this one got me, day before. 🙂 Thank you for the love, people. Barley is great substitute for rice in your life. It is a little tricky looking seed but it does wonders. I adapted this recipe.
You shall need: [Serves 2]
1/2 cup.. Pearl Barley- soaked for 20 min in warm water- discard the water and place it on a tea towel to remove the moisture
1.. small onion chipped fine
3 cloves of garlic – minced
2 tsp… olive oil
1.4 cup white wine- optional*
1.. medium carrot diced small
1… tomato- de-seeded and chopped small
1/4 cup… blanched peas
1/3 cup… paneer [soft] or ricotta- make a paste with the cheese spread [Homemade ricotta cheese recipe coming soon]
1 tbsp… cheese spread
salt and pepper
3 cups… stock [I used the home made beets stock]
1/2 cup… milk
- In a pan, add the oil. Once it is heated, add the onions.
- Once they are nice and translucent. Add the garlic and let them get the oil and onion flavour on them.
- Add a little salt at the point.
- Add the barley and let it toast for a few minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add the carrot, wine and one cup of stock.
- Reduce the flame to medium and let it absorb the stock.
- Add another cup of stock when you see the grains are dry-ish.
- Repeat the process until all the stock is over.
- Add half of the paneer-cheese mix and the milk.
- Check the grain, it should not be mushy but should be fully cooked.
- Add the peas and tomatoes and cover with a lid.
- Cook like this for 5 min.
- Mix some cheese through, right before serving.
- Serve hot topped with cheese and paneer.