Well here is Blogging Marathon again For the first week, I have chosen the theme Members special. Here the members penned down the things that want to learn or would love to make. We had to pick 3 out of the long list of the available ones.
First one for me is Multigrain Beetroot Tarts. We all know that tarts are essentially made from All purpose flour but then I gave it a twist and made it out of Bajra, Jowar and Whole Wheat flour. And this one also got me second prize at the Zopchef 2013.
You shall need: [Makes about 24-30 depending on the size of your tarts]
1/2 cup… Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 cup… Bajra Flour
1/3 cup… Jorar Flour
1/4 cup… Ragi Flour
1/2 cup… Chilled butter cut in cubes
1/2 tbsp… Salt
1/4 cup… Boiled and pureed beets
1.5 tsp… Sugar
Water [if needed]
- The tart must always be flaky and must have a bite to it. This is the reason it is very important that we use chilled butter, other ingredients can be on room temperature.
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the butter against the flours. Keep doing it until you get a bread crumb like texture.
- Add the puree and make the dough. It must a be a firm dough so add the beets a little at a time.
- Chill the dough, wrapped in a cling film, for 30 min atleast.
- Now make small balls and roll it out to about 1/4th inch width and put it in the tart mould.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180C for 12-15 min [Mine were small so baking time is reduced]
- be careful as you would not be able to tell if they are burnt or not because of the color.
- Take them out and let them cool for about few min.
- Take out from the shell and add filling of your choice.
Sending this to:
hosted by Nivedhanams brain child of Preeti.