I have been dying to make a streusel cake for sometime now. It is noting but a crunchy topping over a beautiful cake. It is very simple to make as well.
I used dates and apples for this cake as I wanted to play around with the sugar comtent of the cake. Adding naturally sweet ingredients gave me that freedom. Here is how you can make this gorgeous cake.
You shall need:
3/4 cup… Whole Wheat flour
3/4 cup… All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup… Chopped pitted dates
1/2 cup… diced apples (I didnt peel them)
1/2 cup… Light brown sugar
1/2 cup… White sugar
1.5 tsp… Baking powder
1 tsp… Salt
1 cup… butter milk (In a cup of milk, add 2 tsp vinegar and let it stand for 5 min. Post this you shall have the butter milk ready to use)
1 cup… refined flavorless oil.
For the topping:
4 tbsp… All purpose flour
2 tbsp… Softened butter
3 tbsp… light brown sugar
- Pre heat an oven to 180C and line an 8″ cake tin and keep aside.
- For the batter, in a bowl, mix the dry ingredients (except the apples and dates) with a whisk and keep aside.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients.
- Mix well with a spatula.
- Once all of it is amalgamated, add the apples and dates and mix well.
- Pout it in the cake tin.
- For the topping, tip the flour and sugar in a bowl, use a spoon to mix through the butter.
- You should land up with a rubble of flour and sugar.
- Cover the cake batter with the topping mix uniformly and bake for 30-35 min or until the skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.