Poodas or savory pancakes are our go to breakfast after long walks. They are easy to put together and very healthy. A Pooda is basically a mix of flours, spices and water. When I was younger, mum used to make these with besan/chick pea flour, onion and green chilly. However I out-lived my love for them and had stopped eating them for good 10 years. Recently my mother in law made the most soft and delicious poodas with wheat flour. Since then there is no looking back, I am hooked with flours like bajra [pearl millet], ragi [finger millet], jowar [white millet], singhada [chestnut].
So here is one of the versions of many that we make now 🙂
You shall need: [Serves 4]
1/2 cup Wheat flour
200 gms steamed and mashed sprouts- I used moong sprouts. Put them in a cooker with 1/4 cup water and it shall becomes soft in 2 whistles. Mash using a spoon or fork.]
1/2 cup Bajra Flour
1/4 cup Rice flour
2 green chillies- chopped fine
Red chilly powder
1/8 cup chopped corriander
Non stick pan
- Mix the flours, corriander and spices.
- Add 1.2 cup water and mix, now add the sprouts mash.
- Add more water and mix.
- The batter should be of a pouring consistency.
- Heat a pan, add few drops of oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on the pan and spread evenly.
- Cook it well on a medium heat.
- Once the lower part darkens, flip gently and continue cooking.
- Repeat the process until the batter is done.